Re: Migration from YACC problem

From: Tim Van Holder
Subject: Re: Migration from YACC problem
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 08:36:01 +0200

> Moving a functional YACC grammar to bison 1.875 under HP-UX
> 11.11, I get a foo.output file (with no errors noted) and
> nothing else. The return code from bison is 141 -- interpreted
> by make as a 13. The behavior remains the same with various
> combinations of -y, -d, -v, etc.

When the high bit of the return code is set (i.e. it is over 128)
that generally means a signal was raised (i.e. bison crashed).
In most (but not all) cases the exact signal can be found using
the return code as well.
Signal 13 on HP/UX is SIGPIPE - this suggests bison tried to
run m4 in a subprocess and failed.  Either you don't have GNU m4
installed, or 'm4' is not GNU m4 (on HP/UX it typically isn't).
Did you build bison yourself, or did you get a binary from
somewhere?  If the former, there's something fishy going on,
as configure will stop if there is no valid m4 present.
If the latter, you'll have to get GNU m4 from the same source
and install it.

> /usr/include/sys/errno.h shows a 13 to be an access error, but this is
> executing in a directory I own, with 777 permissions on the
> directory and 666 on all files in it.

Tool return codes have nothing to do with errno (errno only deals
with error codes after C library calls, and is not exposed to the
outside environment).