Re: Cleaning up bash releases at first directory level

From: Greg Wooledge
Subject: Re: Cleaning up bash releases at first directory level
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2023 17:50:11 -0400

On Mon, Mar 20, 2023 at 09:41:41PM +0000, uzibalqa wrote:
> I would much value that tho bash manual includes a chapter about installing
> new version.  For instance I need to use some new feature from "Bash 5.2" but
> looking at the bash tree, there are a lot of files.

./configure
make
sudo cp bash /usr/local/bin/bash-5.2

Optional:
sudo ln -s bash-5.2 /usr/local/bin/bash

This ignores the manual, the bashbug script for reporting bugs, and
so on.  I never install those from the upstream source tree.  It's too
confusing to have multiple manuals and multiple copies of bashbug, IMHO.