Re: Avoiding a shebang to call awk

From: goncholden
Subject: Re: Avoiding a shebang to call awk
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2023 07:24:23 +0000

------- Original Message -------
On Tuesday, February 21st, 2023 at 5:51 PM, alex xmb ratchev
<fxmbsw7@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 21, 2023, 12:14 AM goncholden via help-bash@gnu.org wrote:
>
> > Have read that employing a shebang to call awk in an awk file has no
> > worthwhile benefit over making a shell function. Is this correct ?
>

> i dont understand your english
> awk is data processing language , bash a cmds shell | execute
> both have different working topics

I have make an awk file named "tool.awk".  But I want to use its name
"tool" rather than having to call awk directly.

Originally I had a shebang, namely "#!/bin/awk -f" in the file "tool.awk".

I have removed the awk shebang from the file and added a bash function

tool ()
{
  local epath="${HOME}/Opstk/bin//opcon"
  awk -f "${epath}"/tool.awk "${@:--}"