Re: Calling a function with a shorter name

From: Eli Schwartz
Subject: Re: Calling a function with a shorter name
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2021 22:07:01 -0400

On 4/13/21 9:52 PM, michael-franzese@gmx.com wrote:

> Have written a function with a long name.  I want to use it with a very
short
> name somewhere else to improve readability.  Have looked into the command
> alias,
> but I get "command not found" when I call the shorter version.

Did you actually look at which command is not being found? Did you *tell
us* which command is not being found? This is important information,
albeit information which some people know to expect.

Why are you using aliases in scripts anyway?

> ----- tools.sh -----
> chtcolr () { ... }
> alias ct='chtcolr'
> ----- tools.sh -----
>
> ----- test.sh -----
> source ./tools.sh
> ct $a $b
> ----- test.sh -----

The actual reproducing case you showed here does not require creating a
chtcolr function, just name it "ct" when you create it.

Or, since it is a script and length is irrelevant and saving 5 bytes in
your script isn't a huge efficiency saver, just use the full name.

Or, read the bash manpage, section "ALIASES", take note of paragraph 4.

--
Eli Schwartz
Arch Linux Bug Wrangler and Trusted User