Re: Bash

From: Jeffrey Walton
Subject: Re: Bash
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2020 13:05:31 -0400

On Wed, Apr 15, 2020 at 11:26 AM Chet Ramey <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 4/15/20 11:15 AM, Jeffrey Walton wrote:

> >> Not that I know of. Is there widespread need or desire for one?
> >
> > About 300 hits on Stack Overflow:
> > https://www.google.com/search?q=bash+sql+site:stackoverflow.com
>
> I looked at the first few of these, and they all seem to be questions about
> how to use an sql query client to read data into a variable (or variables).
> Is that the perceived need here?

Well, I can't speak for others, but in the past I wanted to do
something simple like create a SQLite database:

    ATTACH DATABASE 'mydb.db' AS 'mydb';
    CREATE TABLE IF NOT EXISTS mydb.username
    (
        id INTEGER PRIMARY KEY AUTOINCREMENT,
        fname VARCHAR,
        lname VARCHAR,
        email VARCHAR,
        date DATETIME
    );

and insert some values:

    INSERT INTO mydb.username (fname, name) VALUES ("JOHN", "DOE");

I quickly learned Bash was the wrong tool for the job. At the moment,
I think it is easier to create a *.sql file and redirect it into the
SQL interpreter.

Jeff