Re: [Help-bash] programmable completions via compgen -F

From: Муравьев Александр
Subject: Re: [Help-bash] programmable completions via compgen -F
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2019 18:04:42 +0300

Ok, I see. You are right.

As I understand, compgen designed to be used from within  a shell function generating possible completions to use readline and BASH logic, written in C. It not to process the part of specification, which is realized with BASH by design.

I was mistaken by the phrase from BASH man page "The matches will be generated in the same way as...".

But how do you think, is it not a good feature to bring ability to use any complete specification with compgen and get according results?

It would dramatically improve ability of BASH completion system to be used in non-interactive mode as I think.