Re: [Help-bash] Word splitting

From: Paul-Jürgen Wagner
Subject: Re: [Help-bash] Word splitting
Date: Thu, 03 Oct 2019 15:40:24 +0200

On 03.10.2019 14:50, Stephane Chazelas wrote:

How is using an array (which has been designed for that) to
store a list of strings not elegant?

If arrays have been designed *for that* (i.e. for overcoming quoting difficulties), then they are apparently an elegant solution.

As a side question, if $s is:

s='foo ~ $(uname) "$(uname) $(whoami)" $PATH'

What elements would you like that to result to?

There is a reason why I haven't included any other expansions in my example, as they are beyond what I would need, hence I have no opinion about any generalisation. (Also note that I wasn't asking for a change in bashs behaviour or syntax.)

Regards,

Paul