Re: [Help-bash] errexit and attempting to change readonly functions

From: Andreas Kusalananda Kähäri
Subject: Re: [Help-bash] errexit and attempting to change readonly functions
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2019 19:01:18 +0200

On Sat, Sep 28, 2019 at 12:33:08AM +1000, David wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Sep 2019 at 23:18, Andreas Kusalananda Kähäri
> <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > What's the rationale behind this, or is it a bug?  Or did I simply miss
> > some text in the manual?
>
> Hi, it might be a bug. But more usefully for you, I will tell you
> what I have learned from people with more knowledge than
> I have ...

Hi David, and thanks for your concern. I'm well aware of the issues
with using the errexit shell option. My query is however irrelevant to
whether using "set -e" is a good thing or not. It is rather about the
behaviour under errexit with regards to the modification of a read-only
function, and how it is different to the way the shell behaves when
attempting to modify a read-only variable. I found the discrepancy
rather surprising, and I'm hoping that it has a rational explanation.

What I forgot to mention in my original email was that I was using
5.0.11(3)-release (x86_64-unknown-openbsd6.6)

Regards,
Kusalananda