Re: [Help-bash] eval and set -e

From: Greg Wooledge
Subject: Re: [Help-bash] eval and set -e
Date: Tue, 16 May 2017 08:03:40 -0400

On Mon, May 15, 2017 at 10:43:08PM -0500, Eduardo Bustamante wrote:
> Lets simplify.

Yup.  Here's my simplification:

STOP USING set -e!

IT IS IRREPARABLY BROKEN.

IT DOES *NOT* GIVE YOU AUTOMATIC ERROR CHECKING.

BASH COMES FROM AN ERA AND CULTURE WHERE ERROR CHECKING HAD TO BE DONE
BY THE DEVELOPER AFTER EACH CALL.

set -e EXISTS IN CURRENT SHELLS ONLY FOR COMPATIBILTY WITH ANCIENT
SCRIPTS.

BASH IS NOT A MODERN HIGH-LEVEL SCRIPTING LANGUAGE.

I've tried everything.  I don't know why people can't. get. the. god.
damned. message.  I've tried writing wiki pages, posting on mailing
lists, responding in IRC, writing short stories....