Re: [Help-bash] set time

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: [Help-bash] set time
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2012 13:42:44 -0600

Hello Max,

Max wrote:
> Is there any *direct* command to shift time in bash (using date or
> another, preferably not too unpopular, console binary)?

You have confused us!  Several of us have been wondering what you mean
when you say "command to shift time".

> Say, it's 09:00 now and the command makes it 11:30 *without* me
> having specified "11:30" but only provided the command the 2h30m
> interval.

When you say "the command makes it 11:30" what do you mean?

* Do you mean set the system clock?

* Or do you mean calculate the time?

* Or do you mean run some other command which will think it is running
  at a different time?

Please help us help you by saying what it is that you are asking.

> Note that any "indirect" methods may need complicated ways to keep
> track of the milliseconds lost while running them. It even took
> around one second in some virtual machine guest systems. So I'm
> hoping bash etc. happen to have the magic needed to do the job for
> me.

Please say a few more words about what you are asking.

For example when I read "shift time" I immediately thought of
libfaketime which does this dynamically to create an environment with
a different time.  Here is reference:

  http://www.code-wizards.com/projects/libfaketime/index.html

  Some simple examples:
  LD_PRELOAD=./libfaketime.so.1 FAKETIME_FMT=%s FAKETIME="`date +%s -d'1 year
ago'`" date
  LD_PRELOAD=./libfaketime.so.1 FAKETIME_FMT=%s FAKETIME="`stat -c %Y
somefile`" date
  LD_PRELOAD=./libfaketime.so.1 FAKETIME_FMT=%c FAKETIME="`date`" date

Bob