help-3dldf

Re: [help-3dldf] contributing to 3DLDF

From: arnuld
Subject: Re: [help-3dldf] contributing to 3DLDF
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 13:51:38 +0530 (IST)

> It's not?  It's published by Addison-Wesley, which is now owned by Pearson
> (if my information is up-to-date), which is a major publisher.

you are right and many books published by Pearson are available in India
(e.g. Stroustrup, C++ Primer)  and at the same time there are many-many of
them that are not available (e.g. SICP, C++ Standard Library by Josuttis,
Accelerated C++, Multi-Paradigm Design for C++  etc)

> It depends on how much work you put into it.  If you don't want to work in
> the field of computer graphics, it probably won't help you to get a job in
> some other field.  On the other hand, if you do want to work in the field
> of computer graphics, it probably won't help you, because it is not a
> package that attracts much interest --- hardly any interest at all, in
> fact.  Having written it has not helped me very much, so far, so I can
> hardly tell someone else that working on the package will do him or her
> any good as far as finding employment is concerned.

I am sure that finding employment has no impact on which tools I used to
get real-life coding experience (except OS and compiler). In India most
companies simply want 1-3 years of experience for anyone to get hired as
an entry-level programmer. They don't care what kind of experience I have
as long as I am into some specific field e.g. If I am applying for
Application Programmer, they will welcome experience with any kind of
application. This is just my analysis only because I am not into any
company yet.

> In short, working on GNU 3DLDF will require a lot of work, you probably
> won't get any feedback, and it probably won't do you any good from the
> point of view of finding employment.  I can't see why anyone else would
> want to do it, unless he or she had a special interest in the package
> itself and wanted to actually use it for 3D graphics and/or animation.

this is what that scares me spending lots of time just to get familiar
with the package :(

> I'm willing to answer questions as time allows, as I would be for any
> user, but I can't make any promises.  The first step would be to learn how
> to use the package and then try to figure out how it works.  One way would
> be to start with the files that are processed first and read through the
> source code.  Another way would be to start with simple inputs and trace
> which parser rules are reduced and read the code in the corresponding
> actions, following it through the various functions.  You will soon have
> to look up the data types which are used.  Whatever you do, it's not going
> to be easy and I figure a person would need at least a year of hard work
> to become somewhat familiar with the code.

Laurence, thanks for putting lots of time into writing relevant and
explained replies to my questions. I have found one project that nearly
matches on what I want to have experience with. I will start working on
that package from today. that package, named CAT++,  is being created to
be a free replacement for Blitz++:

  https://gna.org/projects/cat
  http://www.oonumerics.org/blitz/

I am sorry that ate lots of time of yours and still did not come as of any
help.

BTW, I talked with my friend about 3DLDF and he said it feels like AutoCAD
for Linux :) , GNUcad is the alias for 3DLDF that immediately flashed into
my brain =) , can we use 3DLDF like we use AutoCAD in Windows ?, (like GCC
repleces VC++  or 3DLDF is something different ?

(a long time ago, my friend (A Mechanical Engineer) became sad at how
there was no proper replacement for AutoCAD on Linux. Nearly 100% of
engineers in INDIA are dependent on Windows because there is no Free
Replacement and Linux has nothing to offer something like that)

-- arnuld
http://lispmachine.wordpress.com

--

Email and shopping with the feelgood factor!
55% of income to good causes. http://www.ippimail.com