help-3dldf

[help-3dldf] Re: CVS 3DLDF:scanprse.web:451: error: `yyparse' was not de

From: Laurence Finston
Subject: [help-3dldf] Re: CVS 3DLDF:scanprse.web:451: error: `yyparse' was not declared in this scope
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2007 21:57:14 +0200 (CEST)

More about UTF-8:

> On Thu, 5 Apr 2007, Hongyi Zhao wrote:
>
> > So, I have the following the question, how can I make the 3DLDF can be
> > maked under the zh_CN.UTF-8 locale, so that the 3DLDF can manipulate
> > more characters such as chinese?  I think this is practical, considering
> > that the LaTex have such macros such as CJK.

I've done some work on writing code to read streams of characters
using the UTF-8 encoding.  You can see an example here:

GNU Metadata Exchange Utilities website:
http://www.gnu.org/software/metaexchange/#Documentation

_ATest: The Program_

Section 11, page 6, Chart of special characters.
Section 348, page 96,  `Metadata_Source::parse_record' definition.

The chart is repeated in HTML format (with fewer columns)
in the HTML version of the first Texinfo manual for this package:

http://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/gnu2/iwfmdh/doc/texinfo/iwf_mh.html#Special-Character-Encodings_002e

As you can see from the definition of `Metadata_Source::parse_record',
getting a program to read UTF-8 is straightforward.  It's much more
work to get the characters to print correctly when using TeX
and HTML.  There are a great many more characters that I need to
account for.  I haven't used CJK, but I'm virtually certain that
the same principles would apply.  If you want to do this work, you
could use the C++ and TeX code from `ATest' as a model, if you
wish.

If you go ahead and do it, either this way or some other way,
it would be very useful if I could merge your changes into the
official package.  This would only be possible, however, if you
assigned copyright to the Free Software Foundation.  You might
also have to obtain a disclaimer from your school or employer.
Just letting you know;  it would be entirely up to you whether
you wanted to do this or not.

Another approach would simply be to handle every character that's
not otherwise accounted for as an alphabetical character.
However, this seems risky to me and I wouldn't do it.

Laurence