help-3dldf

[help-3dldf] Re: 3dldf Install trouble (kubuntu)

From: lfinsto1
Subject: [help-3dldf] Re: 3dldf Install trouble (kubuntu)
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 18:22:54 +0200 (CEST)

> Thanks Mr Finston for answering that fast... :D

You're welcome.  It's more fun than writing job applications.

You can just call me "Laurence".  First names are customary on mailing lists.

I think your problem may be that you're using the wrong prefix:

./configure --prefix=/usr/local/3dldf/

The prefix should be the directory in which you're building the package,
i.e., /home/xander/amsn_received/mails/3DLDF-1.2.0.0/CWEB

I believe this is the reason why the headers aren't being found and
fixing it may solve the problem.  If not, please let me know.

Most or all of the errors in the first log file seem to refer to template
functions; either ones I've defined or ones from the standard library.
Unlike non-template functions, GCC requires the definitions of template
functions that aren't members of a class to be available to all code that
refer to instantiations of these functions.  For non-template functions,
it suffices to have the declarations available.  I'm not sure what the
situation is with member functions of template classes.  I don't think it
is  so, but I'd have to check.

The way I make the function definitions available is by putting them into
the header files, which are generated from the `.web' files by `ctangle'.
This increases compile time, so I try to limit the number of header files
that contain template function definitions, and the number of files that
include them.  This is one reason why it takes so long to compile
`parser.c++'.

> I dont understand why I have to compile with 3.3
> Its the libstdc++6??? or any flag to ignore some linking ???
> (by the way... the compatibility_version doesn't work)

I don't know.  I have an older version of GCC available.  I can't check,
because the file system has disappeared (temporarily, I hope).  I don't
have a computer of my own to program on, and the system administrator
doesn't keep GCC up-to-date.  A  problem cropped when he installed a new
version of the standard library.

Ideally, I would keep up with the new versions of all the necessary tools
and make all necessary changes.  Maybe someday this will be possible.  At
present, I just do the best I can.

Laurence