help-3dldf

[help-3dldf] Re: problems installing (fwd)

From: Laurence Finston
Subject: [help-3dldf] Re: problems installing (fwd)
Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 17:36:33 +0200 (MEST)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 17:34:30 +0200 (MEST)
From: Laurence Finston <address@hidden>
To: XX
Subject: Re: problems installing

On Tue, 17 May 2005, XX wrote:

[...] (Minor installation problems solved).

> I dicided to go for the new sources

Good decision.  I recommend updating them frequently.  The easiest way to
do this is by using CVS.  Instructions are on the Savannah website.  I
have the exact reference in '00README'.

> and it work perfectly.

Now that's what I like to hear!

> Now all I have to do is to learn how to use the program.

If you know Metafont or MetaPost and 3DLDF 1.1.5.1, it
shouldn't be too difficult.  'sample0.ldf' has many examples
of 3DLDF code.  It may help you to work through it backwards,
since I add code to the beginning.  In addition, the file
'parser.output' contains, among other things, the grammar rules in
Backus-Naur format (similar to that used in Knuth's
_The METAFONTbook_).

'parser.output' is generated by Bison, and the explanatory text
in the version in the distribution is currently in German,
but this doesn't affect the grammar rules.  I haven't gotten around
to fixing this.  Building '3dldf' will overwrite 'parser.output',
in German or some other language anyway, depending on the values of
one or more environment variables.

> I going to make illustrations of "multi level" helical structures,
> i.e. helical structures where each component is a helical structure
> by itself.

You'll have to use 'paths' then, and make sure you use enough 'points'
on them to avoid distortion in the projection.  If you tell me what
parameters you need, I might be able to implement a 'Helix' class and a
'helix' type to support this directly.  I don't have much time to work
on '3DLDF' at the moment, but if it's not too much work, I could try
to fit it in.

Laurence