help-3dldf

[help-3dldf] Re: variables in yyparse

From: Laurence Finston
Subject: [help-3dldf] Re: variables in yyparse
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2004 12:12:41 +0100 (MET)

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004, Hans Aberg wrote:

> What is "bss"?

When I type `size 3dldf' on the Linux system I'm using, the following is
printed to `stdout':

3693037    1376    6708 3701121  387981 3dldf

If I'd ever looked at this closely before, I would have noticed how small
the `bss' section is.  I once read what `bss' stands for, but I don't
remember what.  I think Stevens explains it in _Advanced Programming in
the UNIX Environment_.  In the "good old days", it contained
"uninitialized" data, i.e., data initialized to 0, as someone pointed
out recently, the stack and the heap, one of which grew upward, the other
downward.

Laurence