heartlogic-dev

RE: [Heartlogic-dev] getting closer - a few comments on UI

From: William L. Jarrold
Subject: RE: [Heartlogic-dev] getting closer - a few comments on UI
Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 21:22:48 -0500 (CDT)

I feel like I replied to this days ago.  Pardon me if repeat.
But if so, this reply is slightly different than before.

On Fri, 13 May 2005, Josh White wrote:

For what it's worth, I changed it to [-1,1] because that seems like
the most canonical range.

I vote: don't show -1 to 1 to users.  Use 0 to 10 for normal people to
comprehend.

perhaps.

well, i've noticed it is still the old 5 rating scale.

that is fine with me....nonetheless, i put the following on the wiki...

Some Issues:

What scale to have users rate on:

(a) binary

(b) ternary (a la Tim Chklosvki)

(c) quintary (a la my dissertation, e.g. 1-5)
+ like dissertation theefore data is more reusable.

(d) 10-ary
+ fine grained ratings
- a LOT to chose btwn
- reliability may suffer
- hard to have 10 radio buttons corresponding to each level

....<whiney voice on> ya know i kinda like to see the standard
deviation.  People aren't THAT phobic of math science are they?

Hey, why not?  I think people are going to feel more interested and
involved if they are able to see the stats.

Josh said no.  I don't care so much.  Whatever.

Definitely no standard deviations.

Doubters should ask their friends who are not in Doubters should
ask their friends who are not in science to define "standarscience to define "standard > deviation". If more than half can, keep it on your page.

Good idea.

I put this idea on the wiki.

Bill