heartlogic-dev

[Heartlogic-dev] status on plan as of 2005-04-25

From: William L. Jarrold
Subject: [Heartlogic-dev] status on plan as of 2005-04-25
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 00:58:58 -0500

Hi Everyone,

Well, this email is just a status report little step forward with "the
plan."

(Btw Joshua, I really liked your sending that plan document.  Maybe we
can somehow make it a shared resource in "bright lights" at some
website e.g. the sourceforge website, just so long as it is out of
sight from any research participants.  I can (re?) send my updated
version of the plan.)

Here is the quoted plan element that this status report addresses...

* Compare currently collected data to WLJ 2003.  If data appears sane
then continuing marching forward with replication of WLJ 2003.  There
may be a way of replicating only a portion of my dissertation so as
not to require so many subjects.  After I analyze the data collected
so far, I can ask statistical services consulting at UT about this.

...Joshua and I have been communicating off this list and it appears
that the survey we put up does not correspond to any particular survey
given in study 3 of my dissertation.  althoght this limits the
comparability of data collected to date (due to the effect or group,
e.g. item order) to the dissertation data, we can at least do back of
the envolope type comparisions.

so, as a baby step toward being able to align the items on the website
with items given on the diss i did the following...

what I have done below is gone to www.openheartlogic.org logged in
and then copied each item into a text buffer and figured out what
condition the item was.  i.e. was it a type i,ii, or iii item, was it
unreversed, slightly reversed or strongly revserd.  i did not
determine whether it was human or computer generated.

1:

Goal: Toby wants some hot chocolate.
Situation: At bedtime daddy makes Toby some hot chocolate.
Question: How will Toby feel when daddy makes him hot chocolate?
Affect: Indifferent
Reason: At least he gets to get attention from his dad.

This must be: Type II - slightly reversed - wait -- it is not quite
type ii, because type ii only applied when you did not get what you
wanted...rather it is a goal intrusion...i don't think i had items
like this in my diss.

2:

Goal: Tracy wants an apple.
Situation: Mommy gives Tracy an apple for lunch.
Question: How will Tracy feel when Mommy gives her an apple for lunch?
Affect: Sad
Reason: She got what she wanted.

This must be: Type I - strongly reversed.

3:

Goal: Tracy wants a banana.
Situation: Mommy gives Tracy an apple for lunch.
Question: How will Tracy feel when mummy gives her an apple for lunch?
Affect: Indifferent
Reason: At least she gets to get attention from her mom.

This must be Type II - unreversed or strongly reversed, I am not sure.
I will have to look at other dissertation stuff.

4:

Goal: Tracy wants a banana.
Situation: Mommy puts her glasses on.
Question: How will Tracy feel when mummy puts her glasses on.
Affect: Happy
Reason: She did not get what she wanted.

This must be Type III strongly reversed.

5:

Goal: Toby wants some orange juice.
Situation: At bedtime daddy turns on the television.
Question: How will Toby feel when daddy turns on the television.
Affect: Indifferent
Reason: He did not get what he wanted.

This must be Type III slightly reversed.

6.

Goal: Eric wants to go on the train.
Situation: Eric and his daddy are going on the train.
Question: How will Eric feel when he goes on the train?
Affect: Indifferent
Reason: He got what he wanted.

This must be a Type I slightly reversed.

7.

Goal: Toby wants some orange juice.
Situation: At bedtime daddy makes Toby some hot chocolate.
Question: How will Toby feel when daddy makes him hot chocolate?

Affect: Sad
Reason: At least he gets to get attention from his dad.

This must be a Type II Slightly or strongly reversed item.

8.

Goal: Eric wants to go in the car.
Situation: Eric and his daddy are going on the train.
Question: How will Eric feel when he goes on the train?
Affect: Happy
Reason: He did not get what he wanted.

This must be a Type III strongly reversed.

9.

Goal: Eric wants to go in the car.
Situation: Eric sits down to eat lunch.
Question: How will Eric feel when he sits down to eat lunch?
Affect: Happy
Reason: He did not get what he wanted.

This is a type iii strongly reversed item.