heartlogic-dev

[Heartlogic-dev] Re: perspectives or pronoun KIF model

From: Joshua N Pritikin
Subject: [Heartlogic-dev] Re: perspectives or pronoun KIF model
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2003 19:57:58 +0530

On Mon, Dec 08, 2003 at 11:44:30PM -0600, William L. Jarrold wrote:
> Well, I peeked quickly at your KIF model.  I am bamboozled
> by KIF and fear that despite my years of experience w/ CycL
> am not intelligent enough to quickly intuit what it all means.

Drat!  I was hoping that I had mostly bridged the language
problem ...

> For starters, can you explain this...
>
> (defconcept Individual-Intention (?i Intention)
>   :documentation "like Jarrold's desirability")
> (assert (and
>          (Individual-Intention Purity)   ; indifferent
>          (Individual-Intention Personal) ; happy
>          (Individual-Intention Suffer))) ; sad
>
> ...Is Purity a kind of Individual-Intention

Yes.

> and what does (?i Intention) mean?...What is being asserted?

(assert (forall ?x
  (=> (Individual-Intention ?x)
      (Intention ?x))))

But try to get the big picture:

1. I am proposing a bidirectional mapping between
Individual-Intention and Situational-Intention.

2. Recall that Individual-Intention is just another terminology
for goal status (goal, no goal, or anti-goal).

3. A pair of "goal status" (two people) restrict the type
of situations which can arise.  These general situation
categories are the Situational-Intentions.

4. The rest of the KR model is just elaborating the details
of this mapping between Situational-Intention and a pair of
Individual-Intentions.

5. In practice, the Situational-Intention typically constrains
the verb.  For example, "person1 accepts <something> from person2".
"Accepts" is the Situational-Intention for this example.  In other
words, the verb is (to some extent) a function of the participants'
goal status.

Does that help or just confuse you more?

--
A new cognitive theory of emotion, http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/aleader