heartlogic-dev

[Heartlogic-dev] Re: Re: ahead of schedule

From: joshua.hold
Subject: [Heartlogic-dev] Re: Re: ahead of schedule
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2003 7:33:08 -0500

> Some more responses RE the amazing website you have put together...
>
> Okay, I'm FINALLY loging in...
>
> Loved the little gearheart that shows up in the URL line.
>
> Picky: I'd vote to remove "I want to donate my heart and brain to
> science."

Yah, fine.

Actually I consider the whole thing tenative.  Is there
such a thing as a "disclaimer agreement"?  The wording
might be wrong.  Maybe it should be an indemnification
agreement?  Or something else?  I need to re-read
the text which you used for your study.

> I think approximate time should be less.  My subjects had 30 min
> to complete everything and read the instructions.

Trivial.

> I kinda think we want to do a strict replication, therefore I should
> send you the instructions I had for the subjects.

I have a tex file for Group#1 (or #4?).  I will
copy the exact wording.

> Also, I'd much prefer to not have the split.  For replication purposes
> it is bad.  Also if we want to do a traditionally valid statistical
> analysis of the data, then life will be much easier if we do not
> have the split option.

OK, it is trivial to take out.  I guess you wanted
the split thing for the next survey or something.

> Also, I'd prefer to have the surveys look like the paper surveys.
> Therefore, the likert ratings shoudl be horizontal, no?

OK

> Also the explain your rating part, "If it is not obvious then please
> briefly explain your rating:"...That is not how I did it in the surveys.
> Shoot, I sent you a suvery didn't I?

Yah, I will go back to your exact wording.

> On the replication part, I don't think there should be any hot links.
> We want survey takers to be able to do one thing and only one thing,
> take the survey.  Not go off on a tangent.  Just like the thing I did
> for my dissertation.

Are you sure?  I mean, it is easy enough to keep two
web pages open and switch between them.  Or what if
I complete half the survey then complete the second
half tomorrow?  I guess we can ask people to complete
it in one sitting.  What do you think?

> Also, I mildly prefer the word "dissertation" in place of "thesis".
>
> Hmm, I'm going to need to send you the surveys from all 12 groups.  I
> think there were 12 groups in study 3.  Do you want them now?

Why?  Currently everything is assigned randomly, but I
can generate permutations if random isn't good enough.
Do we need permutations?  If we use permutations then
we can involve a minimum number of subjects which
is probably good.

> When I finished the survey it said "Approx. Time 0 min".  It would be
> better to say "Approximate time remaining."  However, it should only
> do this for the series of items they complete AFTER they do my
> dissertation replication.

Hrm, I have to check.  I think my version says "Completed"

> We'll need about 10 ss per group. 12 groups means 120 subjects.  Once
> we analyze that data and show a replication, we can not require that
> folks do it.  But it might be a good training thing.

Yah.

> So, I should really REALLY send you the instructions that I gave
> the kids who did my study, right?  Were those instructions in the diss?
> Ug, I really need to unearth all my dissertation papers.

No, I think I have everything.  I just need to plug
it in.