Re: [Health] unable to use python 2 on GNU Health Server machine

From: Khurram Shahzad
Subject: Re: [Health] unable to use python 2 on GNU Health Server machine
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2018 10:34:58 +0500

Dear Luis,

Thank you so much for your prompt response.

I was able to run the GNU Health client successfully and also connected it with the server.

Thank you so much for your support.

Best Regards,
Khurram.

On Tue, Jan 30, 2018 at 12:25 AM, Luis Falcon <address@hidden> wrote:
Dear Khurram

Thanks for  the feedback !

On Mon, 29 Jan 2018 23:34:15 +0500
Khurram Shahzad <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Today, I tried to install and run the version 3.2 of GNU Health. I
> followed the install guide on wikibooks which included following
> commands for Ubuntu for making Python 3 available:
>
> cd /usr/bin
> ln -si python3 python
> ln -si 2to3-3.5 2to3
>

> After running these commands, though I was able to successfully
> install GNU Health by running the setup but when I tried to install
> the GNU Health client, it requires following command to be run:
>
> pip2 install --user python-dateutil
>
>   Which fails as it requires pip2 and hence python 2 which is no more
> available in the system (using python command).

Both Python versions can co-exist on the system. In fact, pip2 is for
python2 and pip or pip3 is for python3.

Did you install the client using pip
(https://pypi.python.org/pypi/gnuhealth-client/3.2.5 )

That way you will have all the dependencies

After you've made the installation, if you want to run the server and
the client in the same host, then you can do it in different ways.

Invoke the client using python2 (ie python2 ./gnuhealth-client )

On the server side, if you want to revert to python2 as the
default python interpreter, you can revert it (ie, ln
-si /usr/bin/python2 /usr/bin/python), and invoke the tryton server
using python3

For example :
$ cdexe
$ python3 ./trytond

That should take care of it. Let us know if that works for you.

Bests
Luis