Re: [Health] Database Backup not found

From: Khurram Shahzad
Subject: Re: [Health] Database Backup not found
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2016 09:03:29 +0500

Dear Luis,

On Tue, Sep 27, 2016 at 4:10 PM, Luis Falcon <address@hidden> wrote:
Dear Khurram

On Mon, 26 Sep 2016 09:48:36 +0500
Khurram Shahzad <address@hidden> wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> I backed up my GNU Health installation using following command:
>
> gnuhealth-control backup --backdir /home/gnuhealth/backup/ --database
> hmis_test_db
>
> Now, when I extract the compressed file, I can see the complete home
> directory of gnuhealth user. But, I am unable to find the backup of
> the database. Where can I find it?

GNU Health control backup command creates two files on your destination
backup directory :

1) The compressed database dump: The format
is :backup_db-name_timestamp.gz

2) The database and filesystems for GNU Health.

If you only need the database dump, you use the file as in case 1
(backup_db-name_timestamp.gz).

To restore, with the GNU Health user :

1) create a new database (

$ createdb your_db_name --encoding=unicode

2) Uncompress the database dump

$ gunzip backup_db-name_timestamp.gz

3) Restore the DB using psql

$ psql your_db_name < backup_db-name_timestamp

I'll document this restore procedure on Wikibooks.

Let us know how it went.

Bests,

Thank you so much for such a detailed response. I successfully backed up and restored my database and file system by following the steps.

--

Regards,
Khurram.