Re: [Health] [Health-jamaica] Ebola, MERS, Zika, N.N. and GNU Health

From: Christoph H. Larsen
Subject: Re: [Health] [Health-jamaica] Ebola, MERS, Zika, N.N. and GNU Health
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2016 18:00:45 +0700

Dear All,

Thank you everybody for your incredibly encouraging input. Of course, we are all aware of the fact that GNU Health is focused on empowering equitable access to health care, which is even more remarkable, as we seem to be in an environment that gets increasingly monetised.

I would like to add my two cents to the "Neglected Tropical Diseases" issue. The original term has been coined to divert the focus of rich donor nations away from non-communicable and priority communicable diseases, and let's just assume that it was a well-meant effort. However, what are those "NTDs"? Do they include poverty-induced obesity, hypertension and diabetes, as nowadays commonly seen in urban Kenya, where healthy foodstuff has slipped beyond the reach of the average breadwinner? Or are they spelled E-b-o-l-a, as in some obscure, albeit deadly infection found among some bushmeat eating tribes? Or named echinococcosis or kala-azar in Turkana, just beyond the reach of mainstream public health interventions in East Africa? My feeling is that NTDs have swiftly grown to become emerging pathogens, which require vigilance, lateral thinking, local funding and empowerment, all spiced up with a decent dose of good ole' common sense.

I fully agree with you that donors have - for a long time! - used the development arena for their own purposes. After all, they have become increasingly outspoken about their "geopolitical interest" in recent years.

However, let's not throw the baby out with the bath water: It was actually the fact that "events" have been blatantly disregarded by the donor or international community, when ominous things happened along the Guinean/Sierra Leonean border. Attention to events would have meant to attribute importance to public health, common-sensical epidemiology and national empowerment. However, this was not to happen, and the rest is history... Hence, it really depends on the situation, when "patients", "events" or "statistics" are important. In a way, this is exactly the Chamaeleon-like face of holistic health, as we add layers of insight as well as abstraction to routine health care to cater for the individual, common and greater good.

The wide range of approaches that is required is also highlighted when implementing disease surveillance: Passive surveillance, as well as sentinel surveillance as an aspect of it, can be done comfortably from with GNU Health as a starting point, yet needs data aggregation, analysis and warehousing at the end.

Active surveillance, however, requires a whole lot of added witchcraft, which is well described as emergency preparedness, and the deployment of the latter. This gives a pretty good overview of the process: http://www.poverty-action.org/study/reducing-ebola-virus-transmission-improving-contact-tracing-sierra-leone We had to train 400+ contact tracers within four less than four days in Freetown to react swiftly to new cases, the most critical of which occurred in densely populated slums. Netbook have never been considered as a viable option. Tablets or even better phablets with powerful batteries (4000 mAh) are. The same is true for community health workers, may of which could just handle a simple mobile phone comfortably, and successfully reported along ten critical event triggers that were likely to indicate a suspicious Ebola-related event... which in turn triggered an emergency response from the district. All this in an environment with close to zero electricity outside the district capital, iffy mobile networks and sporadic internet access, yet accomplished with wonderful and highly motivated, resilient people.

Writing software nowadays is not only an art, but depending on the way how the former is made available, also a highly political act. I think GNU Health got this very right. Still, software is nothing but a tool, which can be used either way. Therefore, I humbly feel that it is crucial that we take in the whole picture and all layers of realities to let those in need guide us towards making the best out of our unique positioning.

Stay well!

Chris