Re: [h5md-user] H5MD proposals

From: Peter Colberg
Subject: Re: [h5md-user] H5MD proposals
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2014 10:53:17 -0400

Hi Pierre,

On Fri, Aug 01, 2014 at 03:20:13PM +0200, Pierre de Buyl wrote:
> Following the latest discussions, I hereby propose to have "H5MD proposals".
>
> They consist in a new part on the h5md website. A few differences with the
> current discussion page:
> 1. Each proposal is numbered and has its own page (easier for discussion and
> versioning).
> 2. Each proposal must consist in an actual proposition of modification of the
> specification whereas the discussion page is more loosely defined.
>
> Again, they are put online on a tmp page to avoid cluttering the main repo in
> case it is not picked up
>
> http://pdebuyl.be/tmp/h5md/proposals/
>
> Opinions welcome!
>
> I hope that you will see this as a way to think more productively on the
> future
> of the file format.

This is a great proposal!

I suggest one modification: The proposals are committed to the git
repository. They are part of the development history in the same
way as changes to the specification.

Could you extend the Contributing section to describe how contributors
clone the h5md repository, commit their proposal, and send a mail to
the list to announce and request a merge of the proposal? A link to
the git tutorial would be helpful, too.

Then you should commit your nicely prepared proposals :-).

Should we use four digits for the proposal filenames? The proposal
title can omit the leading zeros, similar to Python enhancements:

http://legacy.python.org/dev/peps/

Peter