Re: [h5md-user] Volume

From: Felix Höfling
Subject: Re: [h5md-user] Volume
Date: Fri, 08 Nov 2013 10:11:55 +0100

Am 08.11.2013, 08:04 Uhr, schrieb Konrad Hinsen <address@hidden>:

Pierre de Buyl writes:

> The problem is that, when we are pushing the boundaries of science [1], we find > ourselves in situations where we cannot convert everything (semi-open systems,
 > subsystems, etc.).
 >
 > I am in favor of not having 'volume' mandatory. And neither 'density'.

+1

I have situations (simulations of proteins in gas phase) where my
system has an energy and a temperature, but neither volume nor density
(nor pressure).  Whether or not one can use thermodynamics on such
systems is hotly debated (the keyword to look for is "thermodynamics
of small systems"). But I don't think a file format should impose a
particular point of view in this debate.

Konrad.

I dropped the mandatory volume and added density as _optional_ field, commit d3356a6. Having the density instead of the volume is inline with the approach to store intensive variables. Does that work out for everybody?

Felix