Re: [h5md-user] H5MD developer's guide

From: Konrad Hinsen
Subject: Re: [h5md-user] H5MD developer's guide
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2013 14:38:46 +0200

Pierre de Buyl writes:

 > From experience, wikis very often get outdated.

My idea as not to keep a Wiki as permanent documentation, just as a
means to facilitate contribution. Once reasonably complete, this would
become just another page on the H5MD site.

 > Are there other alternatives to a wiki or to the single repository we have
 > now?

- Github, whose pull requests make contributions simpler.

- One of the EtherPad sites, e.g. http://etherpad.mozilla.org/,
  though in terms of formatting this is less straightforward to
  integrate into a Markdown- or ReST-based site later on.

 > In a very pragmatic way, I consider that providing H5MD implementations (in
 > Python and Fortran, from my side) is a more efficient way of communicating
 > this.
 > The source code allows one to gather information on these practicalities.

Fine with me, but as far as I can tell, no implementation currently
supports all H5MD features from the specification. Ideally the
implementations should then have sufficient comments that explain why
certain approaches were chosen.

Konrad.
Konrad Hinsen
Saint Aubin - BP 48