Re: [h5md-user] Mandate Variable-length string datatype

From: Felix Höfling
Subject: Re: [h5md-user] Mandate Variable-length string datatype
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2013 18:08:18 +0200

Am 23.09.2013, 18:01 Uhr, schrieb Peter Colberg <address@hidden>:

On Mon, Sep 23, 2013 at 05:45:51PM +0200, Felix Höfling wrote:
I don't get your point.

In the C++ mindset, anything can be wrapped, not a problem… ;-)

Why are readers and writers not interoperable?

If program A writes the string attributes of the h5md group using a
variable-lengths string datatype, and program B reads the string
attributes of the h5md group using a fixed-length string datatype,
the HDF5 library will return an error.

Unless you have a good reason why fixed-length string datatypes
are important for the storage of the existing H5MD attributes,
I see no point in provoking these incompatibilities.

Peter

The reader has to be aware of the two different HDF5 string types, of course. Both string types are proper HDF5 and I don't see any reason why we should restrict to a subtype. As I said, the distinction is a really simple task. I believe it consumes more time discussing the issue further than fixing the reader.

Felix