Re: [h5md-user] Particle tracking

From: Olaf Lenz
Subject: Re: [h5md-user] Particle tracking
Date: Sun, 01 Sep 2013 15:05:31 +0200

Hi Mathieu,

On 09/01/2013 12:43 AM, Mathieu Leocmach wrote:
> I track particles, usually colloids via confocal microscopy.
> Contrary to simulations, I observe only a small portion of the system
> and particles always come in and out of the field of view. Therefore
> the number of particles in a frame is not constant in time and the
> number of particles seen at least once is increasing with time.
>
> Do you think your file structure can accommodate this type of data?

The format is intended to be able to hold this kind of data.

However, at the moment, I am not sure whether the specs allow for it.
"particles/<group>/id" was introduced to allow for arbitrary ordering of
the particles within the particles group, so it should not be a problem
if the particles change identity.

However, the number of particles per group is fixed. The question is how
to accommodate a varying number of particles. I think this is where we
would have to introduce variable-length datatypes, right?

Olaf

--
Dr. rer. nat. Olaf Lenz
Institut für Computerphysik, Allmandring 3, D-70569 Stuttgart