Re: [h5md-user] attribute modification_time

From: Peter Colberg
Subject: Re: [h5md-user] attribute modification_time
Date: Wed, 29 May 2013 10:51:01 -0400

On Wed, May 29, 2013 at 01:07:36PM +0200, Felix Höfling wrote:
> the /h5md group contains the attribute "creation_time". I suggest to
> provide "modification_time" (or "last_modified") as well to document
> manipulations of the H5MD file after the initial simulation. The
> description could be:
>
> modification_time: The time when then file was modified last. It
> uses the same format as "creation_time". H5MD writers are advised to
> update the field just before closing the file.
>
> What do you think?

When a simulation has finished successfully, I `chmod 444` the input
and output files and never write to them again. That practice should
be standard for molecular simulations.

Of course users are free to modify their files after the fact, but
should this behaviour be encouraged by the specification?

Regards,
Peter