Re: [h5md-user] unit attributes

From: Felix Höfling
Subject: Re: [h5md-user] unit attributes
Date: Mon, 06 May 2013 17:23:07 +0200

Am 06.05.2013, 17:00 Uhr, schrieb Peter Colberg <address@hidden>:

On Mon, May 06, 2013 at 04:17:57PM +0200, Felix Höfling wrote:
I would like to generalise and to modify the value/step/time
structure of data groups as

data_group
 \-- value
     +-- unit
 \-- step
 \-- time
     +-- unit

Do you have suggestions for the format of the unit attribute?

It would be great if the unit was not some free-form text, but
something adhering to a standard representation of SI units in
ASCII or UTF-8. Maybe not mandatory, more as a recommendation.

Peter

Actually not, I do not make use of the unit attribute. I don't know whether experimentalists have some standards to specify the unit (like length is always in "metres" times a power of 10). But some people may want to say that the unit of length is "\sigma", others prefer Ångstrøms or cm. I think a free string would be sufficient for the time being.

Felix