Re: [h5md-user] H5MD discussions

From: Felix Höfling
Subject: Re: [h5md-user] H5MD discussions
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2011 20:58:59 -0000

Salut Pierre, Hallo Peter,

So let me start the dicussion on this provisional "list".

I have still some issues with the trajectory group of H5MD:

1) Rigid particles (like true colloids, not composed of many particles) have additional degrees of freedom. I suggest to optionally extend the trajectory group by groups "orientation" (a unit vector, or angles? The vector appears less ambiguous than definitions of Euler angles) and "angular_velocity" (this is an axial vector, so actually a traceless, symmetric tensor of rank 2, but can be stored as a vector).

2) In NTP simulations, for example, the volume of the simulation box fluctuates. This shall be supported by a generic MD file format. (I'm not sure whether and how periodic boundaries are applied in this case, maybe they are not used in all directions.)

My suggestion is a separate data group "box" in trajectory along with its own timestamp, which may contain a single entry only if the box remains fixed. The relevant value of box at a given point in time is determined from the latest stored value before or at that point in time.

3) Specification of a box with non-orthogonal edges requires more than giving just two corners, it also requires some information about the angles. To me, it appears more direct if the edge vectors of the box would be stored for this general case. This would imply two datasets: "offset" and "edges", where the latter is a d×d matrix with the edge vectors as rows. For a cuboid box of lengths L_x, L_y, L_z centered around the origin, one would have:

offset (-L_x/2, -L_y/2, -L_z/2)
edges ((L_x, 0, 0), (0, L_y, 0), (0, 0, L_z))
time (0)
step (0)

This suggestion contains some redundancy (e.g., the zeros), but appears the most general and manageable to me.

Please let me know what you think about these ideas.

Cheers,
Felix