Re: [h5md-user] graphical notation

From: Pierre de Buyl
Subject: Re: [h5md-user] graphical notation
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2011 02:38:27 -0400

Le 29 août 11 à 03:44, Felix Höfling a écrit :
Hi,

Our tree diagrams should have different notations for groups, datasets, and attributes to make the structure more transparent. If we want to use UTF-8, it could look like this:

trajectory
     \-- group1
          \-- position
          |    \→ sample
          |    |    \… minimum
          |    |    \… maximum
          |    \→ step
          |    \→ time

Looking into "more usual", I can think of keeping the present notation for groups and datasets. Altough it does not make a distinction between the two, it has never posed a problem to me. Regarding attributes, I agree that they should be denoted in a different way.
I propose
    trajectory
     \-- group1
          \-- position
          |    \-- sample
          |    |    +-- minimum
          |    |    +-- maximum
          |    \-- step
          |    \-- time
Or
    trajectory
     \-- group1
          \-- position
          |    \-- sample
          |    |    --- minimum
          |    |    --- maximum
          |    \-- step
          |    \-- time
that is, using "+--" or "---" for the attributes.

But I'm sure there are better (and maybe more usual) solutions.

Best regards,
Felix

Pierre