h-source-users

Re: [H-source-users] rework of german translation file — development bra

From: bill-auger
Subject: Re: [H-source-users] rework of german translation file — development branch
Date: Wed, 31 May 2023 17:17:49 -0400

On Wed, 31 May 2023 10:32:06 +0200 koffeinfriedhof wrote:
> If it is only a website to login, "Anmelden bei" is fine.

i cant imagine any other meaning - "sign-in" or "login" have only one possible
meaning WRT computers - it is always referring to the process of offering some
credentials (eg: a username and password), in order to access resources on
_some_ computer, which are personally-relevant or personally-attributable to
you and you alone

it does not matter which computer, nor which type of service is accessed - that
could be a website, an IRC service, an email service, or any other kind of
network service, which has a reason to distinguish one user from another - it
could also be your local computer - you "signed-in" or "logged-in" to your
computer when it booted

On Wed, 31 May 2023 10:32:06 +0200 koffeinfriedhof wrote:
> I was wondering about the "connections". They could be of different
> types which results in german to different words.

like "sign-in/login", i cant image more than one meaning - there are _physical_
connections, of course (eg: a plug entering a socket), or _logical_ connections
over a network (two computers exchanging data, any data and any amount) -
Dennis had "verbunden" - if that implies a physical connection, maybe your
translation is better - the concept is: "to communicate with another", not "to
touch another"

On Wed, 31 May 2023 10:32:06 +0200 koffeinfriedhof wrote:
> In the case that
> nothing gets transmitted my provides sentence will be fine.

thats fine - really, that disclaimer should "go without saying" - most
applications would simply read: "Offline Mode", "Disconnected", or similar - it
is assumed that people know what that implies - unfortunately, many developers
of "modern" applications do not understand the concept of "offline mode" - the
software starts using the internet immediately without asking or informing the
user, with no inkling that some people may want to avoid unintentional
communications with other computers, eg: unless a "Yes, Send it Now" button is
pressed intentionally (like a chatting program) - IMHO, that statement is
explaining only: "This application does what all software should do: it
respects the user's privacy. The user must decide when to send or receive
information over the internet." - it is just unfortunate, that such a
disclaimer is necessary these days - privacy should be the expected default for
locally-running software, as it always had been, until about 10 years ago

On Wed, 31 May 2023 10:32:06 +0200 koffeinfriedhof wrote:
> I tried to find translatable examples, but I gave up after three tries
> ;) German is an awful language sometimes.

again, if you are unsure, Dennis has made himself available for this job - he
would be glad to help you with this