h-source-users

Re: [H-source-users] better analysis/presentation?

From: Yuchen Pei
Subject: Re: [H-source-users] better analysis/presentation?
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2021 17:57:46 +1100

bill-auger <bill-auger@peers.community> writes:

On Mon, 01 Nov 2021 21:09:47 +1100 Yuchen wrote:
Can you clarify with an example what you mean by conflicting entries?

On Mon, 01 Nov 2021 21:09:47 +1100 Yuchen wrote:
OK rereading your message I think you mean something like

> what happens when another client
>  submits a contradictory report on the same release of the
> singular 'guix' distro

multiple versions of distros is a separate issue - the first
is simple - i meant "conflicts" in the plain sense - does a
search result for "foomatic-123" present "Works with free
software? Yes"? , "No"? , or both (in conflicting per-user
reports)?

alice posts data including a common hardware (eg: i915):

  model = foomatic-123
  works_with_free_software = Yes

bob's computer or distro disagrees:

  model = foomatic-123
  works_with_free_software = No

presumably, a search will result in both, and they will
contradict - furthermore, the burden of analyzing the data-set
is on each user - this suggests some interesting analysis
questions, which could be resolved programatically, if it is not
already:

  how many other users, agree with alice and/or bob?

  is it possible to present search results as a compact table?

    eg: "Foomatic-2000"
"Alice | Works with free software? Yes (for me on trisquel9)" "Bob | Works with free software? No (for me on trisquel7)" "Carol | Works with free software? Yes (for me on parabola)"

  is it is possible to collate/average entries common hardware,
  into a [SIC]"user-confidence-rating"?

    eg: "Works with free software? Yes (41/42 users)"

maybe some otherwise hidden wisdom may be revealed with better
presentation; such as: all 'Yes' were also tested the same one
distro, and zero 'No' were tested on that distro - all 'No' were
from another distro

Overall this sounds like a good idea, thanks.

--
Best,
Yuchen

PGP Key: 47F9 D050 1E11 8879 9040  4941 2126 7E93 EF86 DFD0
          <https://ypei.me/assets/ypei-pubkey.txt>