h-source-users

Re: [H-source-users] Introduction

From: Damien Zammit
Subject: Re: [H-source-users] Introduction
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2021 17:28:00 +1000

Hi Yuchen,

On 15/7/21 10:34 am, Yuchen Pei wrote:
> I am volunteering to work on h-node and the FSF sysadmins have
> given me access to the server. My first task is to
> try to get a dev site working on trisquel 9 with its newer PHP and
> any suggestions on getting that to work are welcome.
A few years ago, I volunteered to help on h-node.

I wanted to figure out what was hindering the development of this project.
As it happens, the server side code is out of date with the h-source codebase,
and may have been altered without being under version control.
Therefore, the code on h-node server is a different version than the h-source
repo,
as I understand, but I do not have access to the server.

Antonio, the main developer, has stopped developing h-node, but has continued
working
on the "easygiant" framework that underpins the h-node server code.

It is my opinion that to bring this project into a more up-to-date and workable
state,
the database should be preserved as a dump and kept on the server, but all
tables
(**except** the user table(s) containing sensitive password hashes) should be
available
for study/development.

I think it would be time better spent to rewrite the site in python-django and
preserve
the existing data, than to try to pick up the pieces on a php-based codebase
that
has fallen out of sync with the code repo.

I would be happy to devote some time to rewriting the site in django,
but I would need access to a partial database dump as described above.

Cheers,
Damien