h-source-users

[H-source-users] Testing video cards

From: Bone Baboon
Subject: [H-source-users] Testing video cards
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2021 22:56:49 -0400

<https://h-node.org/wiki/page/en/How-to-test-your-hardware> says to test
video cards with rss-glx <http://rss-glx.sourceforge.net/> and compiz
<http://www.compiz.org/>.

I am using Guix <https://guix.gnu.org/> a FSDG operating system
<https://www.gnu.org/distros/free-distros.html>.  Guix does not have
rss-glx or compiz packaged.

I looked at some examples of video card listings on h-node:

<https://h-node.org/videocards/view/en/54/NVIDIA-Corporation-NV34--GeForce-FX-5200---rev-a1-/1/1/undef/2003/works_with_3D/AGP/video-card-works/undef>
<https://h-node.org/videocards/view/en/250/NVIDIA-Corporation-NV34--GeForce-FX-5500---rev-a1-/1/1/undef/2003/works_with_3D/AGP/video-card-works/undef>
<https://h-node.org/videocards/view/en/1386/NVIDIA-Corporation-NV18--GeForce4-MX-4000---rev-c1-/1/1/undef/2003/works_with_3D/AGP/video-card-works/undef>
<https://h-node.org/videocards/view/en/1500/NVIDIA-Corporation-G73--GeForce-7600-GS---rev-a2-/1/1/undef/2006/works_with_3D/AGP/video-card-works/undef>

These listings used `lspci -vvnnk` and `glxheads` to collect information
on video cards and test them.

For video cards there are three categories:
* Does not work
* Works without 3D
* Works with 3D

Is it safe to say that if there is no /dev/dri/ directory then the video
card should be put into the "Does not work" category.

The check for the /dev/dri/ directory comes from this summary I prepared
about GPU compatibility with Linux-libre.
<https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-guix/2021-04/msg00220.html>

What other tests should I do and what results should I look for before
putting a video card in the "Does not work" category?

If I can start a Xorg or Wayland graphical environment is that
sufficient to say that video card is not in the "Does not work"
category?

On a computer that I can start a Wayland window manager when I run
`glxheads` it outputs:

```
glxheads: exercise multiple GLX connections (any key = exit)
Usage:
  glxheads xdisplayname ...
Example:
  glxheads :0 mars:0 venus:1
Name: :0
  Display:     0xe8a2c0
  Window:      0xc00002
  Context:     0xe9fdb0
  GL_VERSION:  3.1 Mesa 20.2.4
  GL_VENDOR:   Mesa/X.org
  GL_RENDERER: llvmpipe (LLVM 11.0.0, 128 bits)
```

How should I interpret the output of glxheads to decide if the video
card should be put into the "Works without 3D" or "Works with 3D"
category?

What other tests should I do to determine if a video card should be in
the "Works without 3D" or "Works with 3D" category?