h-source-users

Re: [H-source-users] future development on savannah

From: Damien Zammit
Subject: Re: [H-source-users] future development on savannah
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2019 14:16:18 +1100

On 16/03/19 13:39, bill-auger wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Mar 2019 12:51:35 +1100 Damien wrote:
>> How about we migrate svn to git first and then you can push the actual
>> code from h-node.org as a branch?  I've started the ball rolling with
>> an email to all the authors in the svn repo to grab their user
>> details for the new git log.
>
> you do not need to do that manually - there automated tools that can
> convert the SVN history into a one-to-one corresponding git commit
> history, preserving authorship and SVN commit messages - that could be
> accomplished on the github website, for example,
I don't think we should rely on github to convert repos.

git-svn handles it nicely [1], but it is still nice to ask the authors
if they want to set a specific email address and name for their commits
as svn simply lists the username for each commit. Git’s commits must
have a name and email listed as a minimum.  With very little work, I can
remap the svn username to preserve a proper git history.

[1] https://john.albin.net/git/convert-subversion-to-git

Damien