gzz-dev

Re: [Gzz] 9th (asko)

From: Tuomas Lukka
Subject: Re: [Gzz] 9th (asko)
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 14:55:58 +0300

On Tue, Oct 15, 2002 at 01:13:53PM +0300, Asko Soukka wrote:
> Mon, 14 Oct 2002, Tuomas Lukka wrote:
> [Circular Vob]
> > > make a new Circle shape class to handle it's data (and from where to
> > > inherit
> > > it) or use Java's Rectangle or Ellipse2D.
> > Why is a class needed? This should probably just be a single Vob without
> > any data, where the circle is drawn inside the (0,1)x(0,1) rectangle.
>
> Like BgVob uses Rectangle, which implements Shape.

Oh, this is actually not analogous. If you want to use something like
BgVob uses Rectangle, you should be using Rectangle ;)

Rectangle is only used because the current Vob.RenderInfo API (which we're
about to change ;) easiest gives the rectangle into one like that.

We want to move towards using transformations between points.

> I believe that in some phase I want to calculate eg. intersections
> between those circles. (Thinking of colliding 2D circles/bubbles/liquid
> vobs sharing borders and forming new virtually continous areas.) Although
> I guess, if there is any need for general operations associated with
> circular vob's shape, the operations (or at least the interface) should be
> inherited from some class.

The idea of colliding things sounds very interesting - do develop it further.
Make sketches, post them on CVS, ...: it's really important to talk about
these things to conceptualize them.

But don't think about its connection with the implementation before
you know what it is that you actually want to achieve; that way lies
madness ;)

Remember that Vobs are currently only for *drawing something on screen*,
at a prescribed location. The location is determined by the view.

The view would probably be a more appropriate place to think about
the collisions.

        Tuomas