gwl-devel

Re: [gwl-devel] [Bug?] Cannot use Guix Workflow Language on Guix System

From: pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)
Subject: Re: [gwl-devel] [Bug?] Cannot use Guix Workflow Language on Guix System
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2019 23:23:42 +0200

Hi Ricardo & Simon,

On Wed, Jul 03, 2019 at 04:53:06PM +0200, Ricardo Wurmus wrote:
> Oh, it crashed… I fixed the bug causing the crash and the site is up
> again.

The website looks nicer than before, thank you!  (This Wisp style of
Scheme seems easier to use with text editors that do not support
indenting parentheses, but I would need to learn Wisp before I can
fully understand it.  It is probably easy like Scheme proper.  I see
the parenthetical Scheme examples still exist in the Git repo.)

> On Wed, 3 Jul 2019 at 15:48, pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)
> <address@hidden> wrote:
> > On Debian I had written a Guix workflow to deploy a not-yet-public
> > Haunt website to a shared hosting provider and tried to use it on Guix
> > now.  (I hope that is a legitimate use case; I used gwl because I can
> > specify package inputs.)
>
> Interesting.  While the primary audience is HPC users with scientific
> workflows where parallel execution of processes on a cluster is
> desirable, I guess building a website automatically with GWL processes
> would work fine.  Personally, I’d probably directly use a Guix build
> script because this workflow does not seem to benefit much from parallel
> execution.

I see.  I will rewrite it then using:

(run-with-store (open-connection) (gexp->derivation …))

because it currently seems easier to explain and simpler for my
limited needs.

Maybe you could explain on the website and in the Guix package
description which uses gwl is good for and why.  I am not really
familiar with scientific workflows and what they are used for in
practice.

> […]
> FWIW “guix process” no longer exists in the latest version, and
> “GUIX_WORKFLOW_PATH” has been removed — workflows are now executed
> directly from files and are no longer arranged in Guile modules.

So my old file cannot work.

On Wed, Jul 03, 2019 at 05:00:38PM +0200, zimoun wrote:
> Myself, I `git clone` the GWL repo then enter in `guix environment`
> with some --ad-hoc packages. Then from there I use ./pre-env-inst.
> […]

It works (with the example workflow)!  (I omitted aclocal, autoconf,
automake.)

> > On Debian I had written a Guix workflow to deploy a not-yet-public
> > Haunt website to a shared hosting provider and tried to use it on Guix
> > now.  (I hope that is a legitimate use case; I used gwl because I can
> > specify package inputs.)
>
> Interresting use case.
> Could you elaborate? Or let me know when you publicly release your workflow.

I attach it.  It is not the most beautiful code, but maybe you get the
idea.  I am using ssh to set up a git repository on the remote server
and add a git hook to rebuild the website with each push like kind of
a poor man’s continuous integration.

Regards,
Florian