gwl-devel

Re: [gwl-devel] what colour should the bikeshed have?

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: [gwl-devel] what colour should the bikeshed have?
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2019 15:33:46 +0200

zimoun <address@hidden> writes:

> However, I am a bit lost. Does this process still work?
>
> process: sleep
>   packages "coreutils"
>   run '(begin (display "Sleeping...\n")
>                     (system* "sleep" "10"))

Yes.  The “procedure” field takes a plain S-expression, a G-expression,
or a code-snippet (which is what the “# ”-syntax produces).

> For consistency, why not?
>   run # guile {
>     blah
>   }

Because it’s unnecessary.  You can do this if you want a particular
variant of Guile, of course.

> And, is it better to declare explicitly "coreutils" as package input
> when using bash?
> Or implicitly? For example, if `run # python {}` is used then the
> package input is implicitly python.
> What do you think?

I want this to be implicit, but currently this is not yet possible.
Guix has no mechanism to collect inputs from G-expressions, so we can’t
automatically add the required inputs to the execution environment.
Ludo has a patch for remote evaluation, though, which adds features that
we can use for this purpose.

--
Ricardo