gwhere-discussion

Re: [GWhere-discussion] character set

From: Zero - GWhere
Subject: Re: [GWhere-discussion] character set
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 19:47:20 +0200

Hi list,

> I want to know how the charset are used when scanning CDs,
> and how will them handled in the future.
> I think that ASCII charset is used (used in DOS for example)
> but when I scan CD's containing ANSI charset (used in window$)
> some characters are converted to ASCII....and others not.
> For example, words containing the char "á" ar converted to "ß" .
> (letter a accentuated converted to greek letter "beta")
> Other letters are also converted.
At time, the charset used for scanning or saving catalog is the same
that one of your system.
We are working on this problem with Luis. I'm not a expert about string
encoding but I believe that UTF-8 or UTF-16 could solve our problem. If
someone on the mailing have the solution, we'll be happy!! :-)

> Now I'm looking at the originals, and Directories and files
> containing the folowing chars: "é", "í", "ú" are not included when scanning
> the disc.
I did't know this bug. I will check it.

> In the last years I try to not use this characters anymore, but
> sometimes they're already included in CD's I have (That's because
> I speak Spanish and in my country people use this chars a lot).
True, in France we have the same problem. And I think that lot of users
should have this problem. I will working on because it is a critical
problem. :-(

> Maybe this can be a problem when someone scan a CD and then
> looks for a file inside that CD........gwhere wouldn't find it.
It is sure!!

> Also I noted that when scanning a Multisession CD, the size information
> of the dics is obtained only from the last session recorded, then the
> size is not informed correctly, and with total size of scanned Cds
> the same happens.
This problem occures under win32 version. I'm searching a solution, your
reported bug was added in the BUGS list.

> Sorry for my English....I speak Spanish.
Do not worry you, I'm not better than you...

Thanks very much for your great analyse and the bugs report,
I keep you informed about all points above.

Best regards,

Zero
Maintainer,

GWhere - Another way to manage your catalogs!!
http://www.gwhere.org