guix-science

Re: A guide to reproducible research papers

From: Giovanni Biscuolo
Subject: Re: A guide to reproducible research papers
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2023 12:37:54 +0200

Hello!

Ludovic Courtès <ludovic.courtes@inria.fr> writes:

> At long last, we’ve written a guide explaining why and more importantly
> how (with step-by-step instructions) to provide reproducible
> computational experiments accompanying research articles:
>
>   https://hpc.guix.info/blog/2023/06/a-guide-to-reproducible-research-papers/
>
> Please share!  :-)

thank you all for this great article, I'll share it à gogò!

You mentioned this citation from Jon Claerbout:

 Published documents are merely the advertisement of scholarship whereas
 the computer programs, input data, parameter values, etc. embody the
 scholarship itself.

and I was very curious about the source: I found that's a citation from
the abstract of «Making scientc computations reproducible» (Matthias
Schwab , Martin Karrenbach, Jon Claerbout, Published 2000) [1]

Nevertheless, the first occurrence of a similar statement by Jon
Claerbout is in a talk named «Seventeen years of super computing and
other problems in seismology» dated Oct 2 1994, precisely in the section
about "Technology transfer and research reproducibility" [2]

In engineering, a published paper is an advertisement of scholarship but
the electronic document can be the scholarship itself. Forty years ago
data were "pencil marks on paper" and theory was some Greek
symbols. Then paper documents were adequate. No more. Now we need
electronic documents.

Just to add a little bit of history of computational reproducibility of
research.

Happy hacking! Gio'

[1] https://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/summary?doi=10.1.1.10.3712
complete PDF here: https://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/doc/10.1.1.10.3712

[2]
https://sepwww.stanford.edu/sep/jon/nrc.html#Technology%20transfer%20and%20research%20reproducibility

--
Giovanni Biscuolo

«Si può sperare
 Che il mondo torni a quote più normali».