guix-europe

Re: Guix Days and FOSDEM 2021?

From: Julien Lepiller
Subject: Re: Guix Days and FOSDEM 2021?
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2020 07:48:44 -0400

Good idea, thanks for suggesting it! I'm interested in giving a talk about the maven build system :)

Le 12 septembre 2020 06:12:14 GMT-04:00, zimoun <zimon.toutoune@gmail.com> a écrit :
Dear,

Maybe it is a bit premature, but there is an high probability that the
next FOSDEM 2021 will be an online event; because of COVID-19.

https://fosdem.org/2021/

Therefore, we should start to discuss how to organize the Guix Days.

In July, I proposed to organize a first online event as a small repeat
of the Guix Days. I am proposing it again. :-)

Well, I am proposing to do that on the week-end November, 21th,
9:00am-6:00pm CEST.
As for EmacsConf and others, I propose to send a call for "talks", say
deadline the week-end before. Talks meaning short prepared
presentations between 15 min and 30 min; prepared could mean
pre-recorded to avoid technical issues on live.

Ideas of topics:
- Guix daemon, maybe resume the last GSoC on the subject and then
discussed some milestones of guile-daemon
- Recent work on:
+ Hurd
+ Secret Services
+ Installer
+ Cuirass
+ Authentication
+ Maven build system
+ etc.
- The last Outreachy about the website
- Translation infrastructure
- etc.

The schedule of the day could be:
- introduction
- 2-3 short presentations
- smaller discussions and working groups on specific topics
- break
- short live demo: how to submit or test a patch, how to configure
Emacs (or others), how to use Data Service, etc.
- 2-3 short presentations
- smaller discussions and working groups on specific topics
- end

Well, what is missing is a kind of social event but I have no idea.
Maybe, something real life by city: the Parisian Guix could meet
and/or diner together, idem for the Londonians, Berliners, etc.
However, I do not know if enough Guixers are clustered in the same
place or if they are too scattered.

About the tools, we need to test and benchmark. Volunteers to help me?

If someone knows someone who knows someone who… well if someone has experience
on streaming events, please share. :-) Maybe we could ask to Amin
Bendali and Emacs or FSF folks their feedback about EmacsConf and
LibrePlanet 2020. Even, maybe the FSF could provide some technical
support?

What do you think?

All the best,
simon