[Top][All Lists]

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: Core-updates after the staging merge

From: John Kehayias
Subject: Re: Core-updates after the staging merge
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2023 05:04:35 +0000

Hi Andreas and Guixers,

Again, thanks Andreas for all your work on core-updates!

On Mon, Apr 17, 2023 at 11:03 AM, Andreas Enge wrote:

> Hello,
> just a quick update after a night of building on CI.
> Things look generally quite good on x86_64; some things are being rebuilt
> due to the recent wget update, and that should hopefully also sort out
> i686 rather quickly.

Packages I use all seem to be good too, except wine as there is a
samba failure for i686. Pending fix: <>

> Am Sun, Apr 16, 2023 at 01:09:02PM +0200 schrieb Andreas Enge:
>> - python: It is mostly green, but with lots of red, including at least
>>   one package that prevents icecat from building. I would call for careful
>>   updates and bug fixes to move on; leaf packages can be updated to the
>>   latest version, but for important intermediate packages please be
>>   careful.
> Python probably is the place where work is needed most, the strip in the
> dashboard looks like it has measles. Fixing one package there could bring
> us a long way (or not - we are in plain hand resolution of dependency
> problems there, one update could also hide another one). Sometimes it is
> just a matter of trying an update to see whether a package and its
> dependents build, so even someone who knows nothing about Python, but
> has a web browser pointed at <>, can do some useful work
> (I am speaking from experience).

I took a stab at a few random packages and ended up finding out that
python-urllib3 needed an update due to our updated
python-cryptography. Only saw this through test failures of leaf
packages rather than itself (noted in upstream update that failures
with newer cryptography tend to point people to the wrong packages).
While urllib3 has quite a few dependents (> 500 rebuilds on update)
and this may break more than it fixes, I pushed the latest version. A
few other updates/build fixes for the packages I was trying as well.

In the chain of oauth/google packages I was looking at, I was left at
python-google-auth-1 (older version) as failing tests even adding in
the missing python-mock. At quick glance I'm guessing due to the newer
python-cryptography. I haven't had a chance to see how we want to work
around that, or if the older versions of the few dependents should be
kept. It is only a few packages anyway, so maybe bigger fish to hunt

I'll check in tomorrow on how the urllib update built on Cuirass and
see if I can pick off any other easy python-* fixes.

Oh, looks like no x86_64 builds currently on Cuirass...hopefully


reply via email to

[Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread]