guix-devel

Re: State of core-updates

From: Andreas Enge
Subject: Re: State of core-updates
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2023 19:02:22 +0100

Hello Maxim,

Am Tue, Mar 14, 2023 at 11:50:12AM -0400 schrieb Maxim Cournoyer:
> That looks promising.  Should we spun a differently named branch to
> avoid people sending core-updates change?  This was discussed in the
> past and agreed to (main branches do not *freeze* themselves), instead
> we use git to branch to our will.

well, I consider core-updates to be frozen, people should not send any
more patches there unless they repair things that are currently broken
(and, one may add, a regression to master). I do not expect this to
include any world rebuilding changes any more.

And then the goal will be to not have a core-updates branch in the future,
but separate feature branches as discussed at the Guix days. So the aim
is to merge core-updates to master, and then to delete this branch once
and for all. (Of course, there can then be a new feature branch "core-team"
or something like this, for changes concerning the core of the system.)

So I think there is no need to branch from the branch!
(And just as a reminder, let us not forget the staging branch that needs
a similar treatment.)

Andreas