guix-devel

Re: GSoC 2023

From: Simon Tournier
Subject: Re: GSoC 2023
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2023 18:32:51 +0100

Hi,

On Mon, 06 Mar 2023 at 23:44, Karim Taha <kariem.taha2.7@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello all, I'm Karim Taha, a senior computer engineering student at
> Cairo University. I'm interested in the Guix project list for the 2023 GSoC
> program. I would like to work on ' Robustify long-term support for
> Reproducible Research' project', I can write c/c++, python, haskell, elisp
> and scheme. My main OS is Arch linux. I would like to know if there are any
> required skills. I hope you all have a nice day.

Thanks for your interest.

If you can become familiar with the details, I can co-mentor it—which
means we’d need to find a co-mentor.  :-)

I would suggest “poking around” generally speaking, which means first
installing Guix.  A good first contribution is often a package: one that
you’re missing, that needs an update, etc.

Then I’d encourage you to look more closely at the area you’re interest
in.  Well, from my point of view, a good way for diving into is by
investigating #51726 [1] #48540 [2] and probably more in the bug
tracker.

1: http://issues.guix.gnu.org/issue/51726
2: http://issues.guix.gnu.org/issue/48540

Feel free to ask questions in guix-devel mailing list or IRC libera.chat
#guix or #guix-hpc.

Cheers,
simon