guix-devel

Re: The package/inherit trap

From: Simon Tournier
Subject: Re: The package/inherit trap
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2023 10:07:45 +0100

Hi Tobias,

On Tue, 07 Mar 2023 at 22:11, Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <me@tobias.gr> wrote:

> However, merely documenting something is not enough when we have the
> chance to fix misleading naming, as we do here.  It would be nice to
> have, but orthogonal.

I would not say it is orthogonal because renaming would not have been
enough, at least for me, in order to get the difference with ’inherit’.

For sure, it is a real trap. :-)  For instance,

    $ git log --grep='package/inherit' --oneline | grep use
    5f83dd03a2 gnu: kodi/wayland: Do not use package/inherit.
    6ecf88a6a1 gnu: poppler-next: Don't use 'package/inherit'.
    5a5b729d66 gnu: abseil-cpp: Don't use 'package/inherit'.
    dbcf2b61b1 gnu: Fix erroneous uses of 'package/inherit'.
    2f97a666a5 gnu: python-urllib3: Don't use 'package/inherit' on replacement
package.
    4163b6d855 gnu: avahi: Don't use package/inherit.

and in the light of this discussion, 5f83dd03a2 seems incorrect, no?

Well, I agree that naming is important and probably the most difficult
task. :-)

Do we go for renaming + deprecated?  Then do we apply the rename to all
occurrences in Guix?

Cheers,
simon