guix-devel

Re: Fwd: [gnu-soc] GNU Guix Project: Decentralized substitute distributi

From: Csepp
Subject: Re: Fwd: [gnu-soc] GNU Guix Project: Decentralized substitute distribution
Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2023 18:33:07 +0100

Shivam Madlani <shivammadlani5@gmail.com> writes:

> [...]

Moving this to guix-devel, since this is more a development focused
question, not a user support one.

See this issue for some related code:
https://issues.guix.gnu.org/52555

As for languages, you would definitely need to write Guile Scheme on the
Guix side, but it would probably make use of libraries written in other
languages, which would likely include C and C++, but also quite possibly
Rust and Go, since a lot of newer decentralized file distribution
protocols have implementations written in them.

As for other details, I CC'd Pukkamustard, who will be the mentor for
this project if I'm not mistaken, and should be able to fill in the
blanks.

ps.: Personally I'd really love to see NDN based substitutes, but NDN is
not even packaged in Guix yet, so my guess is that at first it's best if
you added support for something that already works on Guix System, like
IPFS.