guix-devel

Re: Antioxidant (new rust build system) update - 100% builds

From: Maxime Devos
Subject: Re: Antioxidant (new rust build system) update - 100% builds
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2022 12:33:56 +0100

On 02-11-2022 12:20, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
[. ..]
That’s <https://issues.guix.gnu.org/53127> but it probably needs work if
we want it to work reliably on all the packages.  My understanding is
that we’d need a “flag day” where we’d switch all Rust packages to
Antioxydant in one commit, is that correct?  Any ideas how to achieve
the big migration?

That's the idea I think, yes. For this big migration, I propose to make the "guix style" good enough to do the switch at once (and let ci.guix.gnu.org build it etc. before merging).

On how to achieve this: the basic antioxidation (e.g. move #:cargo-inputs to inputs) is currently fully automated (*). Then there is stuff like 'add this-input to that-package', which is 'half-automated', in the sense that there are a bunch of declarative alists for that, interpreted automatically but declared manually; those could be interpreted by "guix style" as well.

Lastly, there is some more manual things too -- for making packages build under antioxidant, I sometimes found it convenient to update the package (which sometimes also required packaging a dependency). For those additions and updates, I propose to review+merge them (as cargo-build-system, not antioxidant-build-system) before the flag day / running "guix style".

(*) albeit at runtime, no corresponding source code tranformations (guix style) are written yet.

Greetings,
Maxime.