guix-devel

Re: Antioxidant (new rust build system) update - 100% builds

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Antioxidant (new rust build system) update - 100% builds
Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2022 12:20:14 +0100

Hi!

Maxime Devos <maximedevos@telenet.be> skribis:

> 100% (rounded up) of the packages build with antioxidant, though a
> very few still fail to build:
> <https://ci.guix.gnu.org/eval/749079/dashboard>.

Woohoo!!

> So far, work on antioxidant has been done in a separate channel for
> convenience, but given that almost everything builds now, I think it's
> a good time to start looking into moving it into Guix proper
> (initially as a branch, as there are some remaining TODOs like
> e.g. 'why are some of the binaries made with antioxidant larger than
> with cargo-build-system + fix that').
>
> More concretely, this would mean changing the 'runtime'
> transformations done by 'antioxidant-packages.scm' (in the style of
> '(guix)Defining Package Variants') to source code transformations
> ("guix style").
>
> IIRC, Ludo' has some "guix style" patches for moving #:cargo-inputs to
> 'inputs' and such; those could perhaps be used as a basis.

That’s <https://issues.guix.gnu.org/53127> but it probably needs work if
we want it to work reliably on all the packages.  My understanding is
that we’d need a “flag day” where we’d switch all Rust packages to
Antioxydant in one commit, is that correct?  Any ideas how to achieve
the big migration?

Efraim, thoughts on this?

Thanks,
Ludo’.