guix-devel

Re: Emacs integration for 'guix shell'

From: Olivier Dion
Subject: Re: Emacs integration for 'guix shell'
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2022 08:06:32 -0400

On Tue, 27 Sep 2022, zimoun <zimon.toutoune@gmail.com> wrote:

> #!/bin/sh
>
> guix time-machine -C channels.scm  \
>      -- shell --pure               \
>      -m manifest.scm               \
>      -- $@

How about:
#!/bin/sh
 guix time-machine -C channels.scm    \
     -- shell --pure                  \
     --development $(basename $(pwd)) \
      -- $@

Of course you need to A) have a channels.scm in your project and B) have
your project directory named after the package's name in your channel.

> where manifest.scm and channels.scm are kept with the Git project.  I
> prefer to pin a specific Guix revision to avoid bad surprises. :-) Well,
> in a project, I just run:
>
>     guixify make   # run make using the Guix environment
>     guixify        # enter in the environment
>

> I thought to write an extension but I am not convinced by the interface
> I want. :-)

I was using channel too before!  It felt good to pin dependencies to a
version so it does not break while you're developing.  Howeverff, I felt
that the time-machine was taking enormous time everytime a push was made
to a channel.

My biggest usage of the channel was to have the definition of my package
before it was merged into Guix channel.  But this could also be used for
a development version that differs.

--
Olivier Dion
oldiob.dev